Thursday, March 10, 2005

MBA Paradox

I am thinking about going to business school. My main reason being that I don't want to be a software engineer all my life. In fact, I don't even want to be in the technology industry for too long. There is so much out there and so many ways in which one can make a difference. I feel very restricted in my current role. However, the problem is that if I do an MBA, I would be taking a huge loan. So after doing an MBA my sole aim for a couple of years would be to earn money. I am earning a good salary right now. My aim is not to earn more money. I can easily earn more without doing an MBA. The goal is to learn more about the business world so I can achieve or at least get close to achieving my lofty goals. I'm not going to say what that goal is exactly, but it's not a money making proposition.

The second problem is that if I do an MBA in the US, I cannot even think about moving back to India, and I love thinking about that. It might not be feasible for me because of different practical reasons, but I at least have that option now.

Last and the least of my problems is my marriage. I am already behind according to Indian standards. But that's something I let my parents worry about.

I want to learn what's taught in business school, I want the title of MBA from one of the top 5 schools in the US or top 3 internationally, but I also want the freedom to be able to do with the MBA what I want. I don't want to become a money minded professional, one of those horrific characters described in that book Amercian Psycho I read recently.

The problem is defining an order of preference. Is it making money or doing something I enjoy and achieve self actualization? I'm hoping that money and self actualization won't be at odds to each other. Is moving back to India a preference or staying here and helping support my brother and sister more important? Is starting a family important or does my professional life take precedence?

Oh well, I've registered to take the GMAT on April 23rd after which I go to India for 2 weeks. I'll get more time for introspection there. I'll also get to talk to a lot more people and get good advice. Though I'm sure the priorities there would be defined on a completely different scale.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

eXTReMe Tracker